- Business Advice & Litigation
- Employment & Discrimination
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Landlord-Tenant & Section 8
- Construction Contracts & Disputes
- Administrative Law
Joel Rosen is the founder of Rosen & Goyal, P.C., formerly Rosen Law Office, P.C.
Trained as a litigator, Joel enjoyed a long career working as a partner in a business law firm before opening his own practice. He and his team focus on advising businesses, entrepreneurs, executives and medical professionals.
Joel represents doctors, dentists, nurses, and other professionals before the state licensing boards, in court, and in disputes with public and private insurers. He advises on general practice issues including employment, partnership, real estate, and regulatory matters. He has argued many appellate cases and has appeared in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and New Hampshire and before many administrative tribunals including medical, dental, and nursing boards, municipal zoning and planning boards, the MCAD, the Civil Service Commission, the Architectural Access Board, and many others.
Prior to founding his own practice, Joel was a partner at Metaxas, Norman & Pidgeon, a mid-sized business law firm, where he supervised the litigation department.
Additionally, Joel worked at the Massachusetts Appeals Court under Justice Roderick Ireland, taught business law at Bradford College, and served on the faculty of continuing education panels. He is a conciliator in the Superior Court and has served on the hearing committee of the Board of Bar Overseers. A former journalist, he has published hundreds of articles on legal and other topics.
He is admitted to practice in Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
- Massachusetts Appeals Court, Justice Roderick Ireland, intern
- Metaxas, Norman & Pidgeon, Partner
- Chadwick v. Bd. of Registration in Dentistry, 461 Mass. 77 (2011) (Licensing board lacked jurisdiction to sanction a dentist for OSHA violation. REVERSED.)
- Randall v. Bd. of Registration in Medicine, SJC 2013-419 (2015) (In appeal of summary suspension of doctor, hearing officer should not have deferred to board. REVERSED).
- Rizkallah v. Attorney General, 2021 WL 5751826 (2021) (Dentist was entitled to maintain a declaratory judgment action in a dispute with MassHealth. REVERSED.)
- Kelcourse v. Kelcourse, 87 Mass. App. Ct. 33 (2015) (Prenuptial agreement was not enforceable. )
- Pacheco v. Gorin, MICV2009-01946 (2009) (Employer violated Wage Act by failing to invest withheld salary in 401k.)
- Foster v. Worcester Zoning Bd. App. of Worcester, 78 Mass. App. Ct. 1128 (2011) (Abutter lacked standing to challenge housing for homeless. AFFIRMED.)
- Caputo v. City of Haverhill, 82 Mass. App. Ct. 1109 (2012) (School committee member’s statements to the press did not defame track coach. )
- Merrimack Valley Reg. Transit Auth. v. Wood Mill Parking, LLC, 78 Mass. App. Ct. 1126 (2011) (Owner of parking garage could not pierce corporate veil to sue developer for breach of lease of several hundred spaces. )
- Procopio Const. Co. v. DiMarco,, 2000 Mass. App. Div. 166 (Dist. Ct. 2000) (Homeowner’s expert testimony was admissible in construction dispute. )
- S. ex rel. Metric Elec., Inc. v. Enviroserve, Inc., 301 F. Supp. 2d 56 (D. Mass. 2003) (Subcontractor was entitled to quantum meruit recovery under the Miller Act.)
- Northeastern University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- J.D. – 1994
- Brown University
- With Honors
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts
- New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court District of New Hampshire
- Haverhill Bar Association
- Lawrence Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association, Director
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Health Law Council, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Conciliator, Essex Superior Court
- Alumni/ae Association Board of Directors, Northeastern U. School of Law
- Merrimack Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Haverhill Chamber of Commerce
- Beaver Lake Improvement Association, Director
Classes & Seminars
- Panelist, MBA Health Law Conference, 2021, Conflicts between Providers and Patients
- Panelist, MBA Health Law Conference, 2019, The Challenge of the Incompetent Patient
- CLE presentations at MCLE and MBA
- Bradford College,” adjunct professor in business law.”
- “How to Represent a Health Coach,” MBA Section Review, May/June 2022
- Superior Court Practice Manual, Contributor, MCLE, 1999
- Mail Order Orthodontics, Lawyers Journal, November/December 2017
- The Misuse of Summary Suspension, MBA Section Review, November/December 2016
- Can an Employer Force Workers to Get Flu Shots?, Mass. Lawyers Weekly
- The Dental Board’s First Look at Your Case, Journal of the Mass Dental Society
- Smoking and Medical Oxygen: What’s a Landlord to Do?, Mass. Lawyers Weekly
- The Doctor Is Drunk, MBA Section Review, March/April 2019